Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Nice Morning

I've been getting up early for, oh I don't know, a few months or so. It's the only time my house is quiet. I'm a homeschooler so it's not quiet during the day ;-) and, at night, I'm in a house full of night owls-- playing with legos, cds with music and stories going, and "one more hug!" goes on until well past 9:30, and that's on a good night.


So this morning, I woke at 7, came down scuffling in my jammies and slippers with a cozy robe and had my coffee. Eventually, I had to wake children so that we could get to our Homeschooling Group that we attend on Thursdays.

"Good morning!" I call up the stairs. Nothing. "Hello?" Still nothing. "Time to get up!" And, then, finally, I hear a "Hi Mom" creakily respond. Yep, reliably, it's my middle child-- my saving grace most days. I made him a deal. I'd make one of his favorites, Homemade Belgium Waffles with chocolate chips, and he'd get up and shower. Sigh :-) If it were only that easy to get the other two awake.


I've had this recipe for quite some time and have had the waffle maker even longer than that. Give it a whirl. You won't regret it (can't you see the steam coming up from the waffle iron? Oh yes, it's a treat, I'll tell you.


Homemade Waffles

Ingredients:
one egg
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup skim milk
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp olive oil

Whisk egg in bowl until a little foamy.

Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl. Add milk and fold together gently (just stir it gently). Fold in egg and oil.


I've made this in MANY variations. Only the white of the egg, different flours, just skim milk, it all works.

For a treat, I like to heat maple syrup and frozen berries and use that to sweeten it. Yum!!

Oh, and don't forget, for your favorite middle child, add chocolate chips

No comments: