Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Singer Treadle Sewing Machine

I have a close friend that has many things in common with me. She lives in my town, she homeschools her children and, well, she sews! This common interest started out innocent enough but has totally taken on a life of its own.

That brings me to my Singer Treadle Sewing Machine. Circa 1924. A beauty to behold.

Long story short, she owns many sewing machines. I sent her a link to a beautiful treadle machine that she ended up buying and taking home. She, in turn, saw a machine on the side of the road (no less) and that's how I ended up with my pretty lady.

I didn't take a 'before' pic but today is my 'after' pics. It was a beautiful day today. I took a short walk with the dog and kids. I should have stayed outside longer. Instead, I stayed inside while others cheered for the Patriots and I researched and cleaned up the machine and its table.

The above pic is the after. The below pic in the midst of painstakingly taking each piece, spraying it down, scrubbing it, removing clumps of lint, and just getting down and dirty with this piece of history. How I wish it could tell me the tales of where it's been, what it's made and how it was loved.



No comments: