Saturday, March 8, 2008

Little Nephew's First Birthday

Who can believe it? A whole year has passed since that very wild day....


It all began when I realized that if I wanted my sister to watch the kids overnight, I'd better hurry before she had the baby. So we set the date, made reservations at the Longwharf Marriot (thank you, brother in law!) and we were off! We had a tremendous dinner on the North End, a yummy cannoli at Modern Pastry, a general great time. Until....


The phone rang at around 4am. It was my sister. She was in premature labor, or so she thought, and her water had broken. Thankfully, my inlaws were nearby and my father in law jumped in and took over as she, my brother in law, and their dog, all ran home, picked up necessities, showered, etc and went to Women and Infants in RI. Everything went fine. He was a month early but still 5 lbs and change and very healthy.


His one year birthday party is tomorrow. It's an amazing time, really. My sister's a mother, seasoned for a year. She's been through struggles and fatigue and is deeply in love. As all of us are, as mothers. I was a mother for 11 years before her and it's been a wonderful time watching her learn the things that you only learn once you've been a mother.


~Sigh~ All deep seriousness aside, we've gotten together a wonderful batch of birthday presents for him! I'm on the hunt from something we just made the other day.... hmm... I wonder if Lil Lady knows...


Anyway, we gathered these per request by his Mama:

And then there was this brainstorm:

I took the measurements from Lil Lady's favorite bath towel and created this divinely soft, cuddle fleece, towel. This stuff is beyond luxurious. Where was this fabric when I was wee?? It's complete with a fleece hood and a fin on top. This size still fits Lil Lady at 4 1/2 so this towel will see some sweet days and weeks and years.

And I made another for my etsy shop, just in case someone else thought it was cute and wanted to own it for themselves! ;-)

Until later...

No comments: